TRAVEL - FASHION - LIFESTYLE

Thursday 11 January 2018

Chen Lu & I

Chen Lu – a Chinese journalist, a daughter, a sister, a wife, and a mother. To me, she was more than a friend, but my “da-jie.” In Mandarin, this translates as “big sister.” She used to hate it when I addressed her as “da-jie” because it reminded her of how much older she was, but for me, there was a genuine reason Lu was given that title. To me, “Da-jie” was a word of respect that Lu wholeheartedly deserved.

<< Thai version available below / ภาษาไทยด้านล่าง >>

I met Lu in London when we were both students at London School of Economics (LSE). She lived at the student accommodation next to mine, and it did not take long until we became very close. A Chevening scholar – smart, wise and kind hearted, Lu taught me about life, love, and pure generosity. She was the one I trusted; a person I could rely on in times of trouble. Once when I was sick, she kindly came over to cook and help me with my laundry. She was the one who printed and submitted my LSE dissertation on my behalf. One time, I invited Lu to join my family in Spain for a Christmas trip. Our relationship was more than just friends, she was a part of my family.

Seville, Spain (Dec, 2011)

After Lu and I graduated, Lu and her husband visited me in Bangkok and I had never been happier to host any guest. Having spent time with her again after so many years, I felt relieved and warm. When the time came when to say our good-byes. I held her so tight, not wanting her to leave. That night I felt something, I wanted to cry and a thought crossed my mind, “I might not see her again,” but I resisted the idea and said to myself, “Of course I will see her again.” But that day never came, as I recently heard the news of Lu’s passing due to cancer two months after it was diagnosed, and just after she delivered her only baby girl. It was tragedy and I was shocked. I could not believe it at first, my heart goes out to Lu’s family.

Lu Chen in Spain (Dec 2011)

I began looking at old photographs of Lu as I tried to cope with my grief, and realised that nothing could change the fact that Lu is gone, and feeling sad would not make things better. I realized my emotions should be channelled to the moments worth celebrating: Lu’s life and the time we spent together. With that in mind, I collected some photos from our time in Spain for remembrance. That is how she deserves to be remembered.

Rest in peace, Chen Lu.

Pamme. x

Seville, Spain (Dec, 2011)

 
<< Thai version / ภาษาไทย >>

ฉันกับ เชิน ลู (Chen Lu)

เชิน ลู หรือเรียกสั้นๆ ว่า ลู เธอเป็นนักข่าว ลูกสาว น้องสาว ภรรยา และแม่ แต่สำหรับ แพม เธอไม่ได้เป็นแค่เพื่อน แต่เธอเป็น ต้า-เจีย ในภาษาจีนคำนี้แปลว่า พี่สาว ลูจะเกลียดมากเวลาที่แพมเรียกเธอแบบนั้น เพราะมันทำให้เธอรู้สึกแก่ แต่สำหรับแพม คำๆนี้มันมีความหมายมากกว่านั้น คำว่า พี่สาว สื่อถึงความเคารพที่คู่ควรกับคนอย่าง ลู มากที่สุด

แพม เจอกับ ลู ครั้งแรกที่ ลอนดอน ประเทศอังกฤษ ตอนที่เราทั้งสองคนยังเป็นนักเรียนอยู่ที่ วิทยาลัยเศรษฐศาสตร์และรัฐศาสตร์แห่งลอนดอน (London School of Economics หรือ LSE) เราทั้งสองคนอาศัยอยู่ในหอพักที่ติดกันทำให้เราสนิทกันได้อย่างรวดเร็ว ลู เป็นนักเรียนทุน Chevening เก่ง มีความเป็นผู้ใหญ่ และมีจิตใจที่บริสุทธิ์ เธอเป็นคนสอนให้แพมรู้จักชีวิตในอีกมุมมอง สอนให้รู้จักที่จะรัก และสอนให้รู้จักความมีน้ำใจ เธอเป็นคนที่แพมไว้ใจ และพึ่งพาได้เมื่อพบปัญหาต่างๆ มีอยู่ครั้งหนึ่งแพมป่วยหนัก ลูเป็นคนที่มาช่วยทำอาหารให้ทาน และช่วยเอาผ้าไปซัก เธอยังเป็นคนที่ปรินต์วิทยานิพนธ์ไปส่งที่มหาวิทยาลัยแทนแพม เราได้มีโอกาสใช้เวลาร่วมกันโดยแพมเชิญให้ลูไปเที่ยวที่ประเทศสเปนกับครอบครัวในช่วงคริสต์มาส ลูเป็นเหมือนสมาชิกคนหนึ่งในครอบครัวของเรา

หลังจากที่เรียนจบ ลู กับสามี ได้มาเยี่ยมแพมที่กรุงเทพซึ่งตอนนั้นดีใจมากที่ได้พาพวกเขามาเป็นแขก และที่สำคัญคือได้เจอเพื่อนรักอีกครั้งหนึ่ง ทำให้รู้สึกมีความสุข และอบอุ่นมาก เมื่อถึงเวลาที่จะต้องบอกลา แพมโอบกอดลูแน่น ไม่อยากให้เธอจากไปเลย คืนนั้นแพมรู้สึกอะไรแปลกๆ รู้สึกเหมือนอยากจะร้องไห้ เพราะอยู่ดีๆก็มีความคิดขึ้นมาในหัวว่า มันอาจจะเป็นครั้งสุดท้ายที่เราได้เจอกันก็ได้แล้วสัญชาตญาณวันนั้นมันก็เป็นความจริง แพมจะไม่ได้เจอลูอีกแล้ว เพราะไม่นานมานี้เอง แพมได้ทราบข่าวว่าลูได้เสียชีวิตด้วยโรคมะเร็งหลังจากพบมะเร็งได้เพียงสองเดือน และเพิ่งคลอดลูกสาวเพียงคนเดียวของเธอ มันเป็นเรื่องน่าเศร้ามาก ตอนแรกที่ทราบข่าวเช็คมาก แทบไม่อยากจะเชื่อว่ามันเกิดขึ้นจริงๆ ได้แต่ส่งกำลังใจไปให้ครอบครัวของลู

ช่วงนี้ได้มานั่งดูรูปเก่าๆของลู เพื่อที่จะได้หายคิดถึง และเผื่อจะรู้สึกดีขึ้นบ้าง แต่ก็ไม่มีอะไรที่จะเปลี่ยนความจริงที่ลูไม่อยู่กับพวกเราแล้ว และความเศร้าต่างๆที่เรารู้สึก มันก็ไม่ได้ทำให้อะไรดีขึ้น แพมจึงพยายามมองอีกมุมลองเอาความรู้สึกต่างๆไปใช้กับความทรงจำ และความรู้สึกดีๆที่ใช้เวลาร่วมกันตอนลูยังมีชีวิตอยู่ดีกว่า สุดท้ายจึงอยากจะฝากรูปภาพจากความทรงจำดีๆบางส่วนไว้ในโพสนี้ เพื่อระลึกถึงช่วงเวลาดีๆที่่เคยได้อยู่กับลู

ลาก่อน เชิน ลู

แพม



SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig